Mastering the Art of Changing Your YouTube Channel URL. Are you planning to revamp your YouTube channel, or have you decided that your current URL doesn’t reflect the identity of your channel anymore? You must be wondering how to change your YouTube channel URL. Worry no more. You have arrived at the right place. A URL that aligns itself with the branding of your channel can be instrumental in making your YouTube channel easily accessible and memorable. This article will guide you through a simple, step-by-step process for changing YouTube channel URLs.
What are Custom and Non-custom URLs on YouTube?
Before delving into the “how” aspect of the change, it’s necessary to distinguish between custom and non-custom URLs. YouTube automatically assigns a URL when you create a channel. This default URL is usually an assortment of characters and numbers, which is quite difficult to remember.
You may wish to opt for a custom URL, a unique web address that represents your channel’s branding – easy for fans to relate to and remember. However, YouTube places certain eligibility requirements to qualify for a custom URL.
Eligibility Criteria for a Custom URL
It’s significant to be aware of the criteria before changing your URL to a custom one. These are set to ensure a channel’s authenticity and reader engagement.
- A channel must have at least 100 subscribers.
- Be at least 30 days old.
- Have an uploaded photo as the channel icon
- And have an uploaded banner image.
Do ensure you qualify for the same before proceeding with changing your URL. If you meet the criteria mentioned, then you can change your YouTube channel URL.
You may also read: How To Change Your YouTube Channel Name?
A Guide on How to Change Your YouTube Channel URL
Your curiosity about how to change your YouTube channel URL will now be satisfied. Follow the steps mentioned below and revamp your URL like a professional.
- First, sign in to your YouTube account.
2. Take your cursor to the top-right corner and click on your profile icon.
3. Now a drop-down menu will appear on the screen. From the menu, select “YouTube Studio.”.
4. Then a new window will appear on the screen. On the new page, scroll down and select “Customization” from the left-side panel.
5. Now open the Channel Customization page, then click the “Basic Info” tab.
6. Then scroll down, and under Channel URL, you will see your current URL and the option for a custom URL if you are eligible.
7. Now click on “Custom URL.” Here, you can modify or completely change your URL.
8. Once you’ve made the desired changes, select “Publish.”. Now you have successfully changed your URL.
How Many Times YouTube URLs Change in a Year?
Changing the URL might feel empowering, but remember, it’s not an everyday event. YouTube permits the changing of URLs only three times a year. Upon changing, your old URL won’t direct users to your channel, which might affect your SEO rankings and visibility. Therefore, a well-thought-out strategy is significant.
How to Remove a Custom URL from YouTube
Don’t worry if you choose your custom URL incorrectly. It is always removable in four simple steps:
- Go back to the YouTube customization page and confirm that the tab for Basic Info is chosen.
- Once you reach the custom URL header, scroll down. Just below the text field displaying your current URL, click Delete.
- The Google account’s “About Me” page will be the next thing you see. Click the icon next to your current URL in the About section.
- To create a new URL, click Remove on the following screen and proceed as instructed in the preceding section.
To be clear, changing your custom URL doesn’t take the place of your current random URL. Your channel ID is a string of characters that will always be associated with your account. Simply put, using a custom URL prevents it from showing up in the web address of your channel.
Q1: Can I revert to my previous URL?
Unfortunately, YouTube doesn’t allow reverting to your old URL once it has been changed.
Q2: Can I create a URL for my YouTube channel on my own?
Yes, you can create your own URL, provided you meet the eligibility criteria for a custom URL.
Q3: Can I change my URL unlimited times?
No, YouTube allows changing URLs only three times per year.
Channel URLs are gateways for potential viewers and fans to reach your YouTube content. Strategically modifying your URL can galvanize the channel’s identity. Now, with a grasp of how to change your YouTube channel URL, you can unlock new dimensions for channel branding. Happy YouTubing.